ENTERTAINMENT VALUE- 6/10
LIFE VALUE- 10/10
READ- IF YOU’RE AN ATHLETE, COMPETITOR OR WEEKEND WARRIOR IN SEARCH OF ADDITIONAL TOOLS TO OPTIMIZE YOUR LIFESTYLE
DON'T READ- IF YOU’RE 100% SATISFIED WITH YOUR ROUTINE, ARE NOT AN ATHLETE NOR NEED QUICK RECOVERY ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS.
This book, authored by Ironman Triathlete, personal trainer, fitness and nutrition guru Ben Greenfield, is as close to my personal Bible, as my personal Bible. Greenfield is a beast athlete who hold a Master’s Degree is Physiology, Human Performance and Bio-mechanics. This book dives into a plethora of information on workouts, recovery, ways to stay active, pre and post-workout nutrition and much more.
My favorite chapter is called “40 Easy Meals for Athletes in a Hurry,” where he focuses on two specific concepts of meals to optimize recovery. Those are nutrient density and digestability. I’ve made many of the meals in this chapter, and yes, it includes some weird shit; liver and onions, sardine salads wrapped in seaweed, etc. It also included some really great smoothie recipes, quick breakfasts, easy dinners and some cool things with bacon.
If you’re an athlete, martial artist or just someone interested in living an adventurous, joyful and fulfilling life, Beyond Training can be an excellent tool to help achieve maximum health, recovery and focus, 24/7, 365.
In this book you will learn:
• The 2 best ways to build fitness fast without destroying your body
• Underground training tactics for maximizing workout efficiency
• The best biohacks for enhancing mental performance and entering the zone
• How to know with laserlike accuracy whether your body has truly recovered
• 26 ways to recover quickly from workouts, injuries, and overtraining
• The 25 most important blood and saliva biomarkers and how to test them
• 5 essential elements of training that most athletes neglect
• 7 stress-fighting weapons to make your mind-body connection bulletproof
• Proven systems to enhance sleep, eliminate insomnia, and conquer jet lag
• 40 high-calorie, nutrient-dense meals that won't destroy your metabolism
• Easy tools for customizing your carbs, proteins, and fats for your unique body
• 9 ways to fix a broken gut, detox your body, and create a toxin-free life
• A complete system to safeguard your immune system and stomach
• Simple time-efficiency tips for balancing training, work, travel, and family
“You have to leave behind the exhausting pursuit of exercise for the sake of exercise and discover the beautiful balance between health and performance.”
“In a nutshell: Stress is stress - no matter whether it's from exercise or from lifestyle - and the more stress you're placing on yourself from your lifestyle, the less stress you'll be able to place on yourself from exercise.”
“Researchers have also observed that people who listened to music during exercise actually improved their mood, the speed of their decision-making, and even their verbal fluency. That means you’ll not only be able to exercise harder when you listen to music, but you may actually get smarter, too, or perhaps have better focus.”
“If you really want to take isometrics to the next level, you can use a technique that Jay calls “extreme isometrics,” in which you move, but very, very s-l-o-w-l-y. We’re talking five to ten minutes per repetition. This technique takes intense focus. Go ahead and try to do a ten-minute push-up and see how your entire body responds.”